Our top tips for interviews at UHBW
Interviews can be a stressful situation – so here at University Hospitals Bristol and Weston we’ve come up with a list of ways that you can prepare for your interview in a way to show us the best version of yourself. Whether it’s a face-to-face interview or an assessment centre we want you to sell yourself… Remember you don’t get a second chance to make a first impression!
Before your interview
- Make sure you do your research beforehand! Find out information about the Trust and the department you’re interviewing for and make sure you look up our Trust Values as our interviews are often based around these.
- Read the job description and personal specification again as this will give you a lot of clues to the types of interview questions you’ll be asked.
- Be well presented. Dress smartly and appropriately as this will create a good first impression.
- Make sure you arrive 5-10 minutes early to your interview and if it is a virtual interview then login nice and early.
During your interview
- Make sure your phone is on silent or off all together-if it goes off this during the interview this will seem unprofessional!
- It’s ok to take your preparation notes into an interview and even make some notes during the interview
- Be enthusiastic – show that you really want the job!
- Be conscious of your body language, crossed arms and bad posture will give the interview panel a bad impression of you
- Make everything you are able to validate everything that you have said in your application at the interview
- Make sure you’re clear and concise when answering your questions-waffling will make it seem like you don’t know what you’re talking about
- Ask questions at the end, you can always prepare these questions ahead of your interview and it shows that you’re interested
- Know what the next steps are
- Even with good preparation, it’s likely that you’ll be nervous on the day. However, it’s important to remember to be friendly, professional most importantly be yourself!
We hope you find these tips useful, we wish you all the very best of luck with your interview!